Submit a Sub Study
Investigators interested in proposing sub/sub-studies for PPMI are invited to do so by completing the form below. The sub study proposals may include additional study assessments (e.g., clinical, digital, imaging, etc.) on all or a sub-set of PPMI participants or collection of specific biospecimens for biomarker studies.
Submitting a Sub Study
Proposals will be reviewed by the PPMI Sub Study committee within 2 months of receipt of a complete submission. Investigators may be contacted by a member of the PPMI Sub Study Committee requesting further clarification, information, or additional proposal materials.
All ideas submitted will be considered based on the scientific merits of the proposal, any additional subject and clinical site burden resulting from the proposal, and the resources available for incorporating the sub study into the PPMI Program.
Funding is not required prior to proposal submission; however, investigators should include the plan to obtain funding should the proposal be accepted. In some circumstances, the PPMI Sub Study Committee may recommend internal PPMI funding to support all or part of the proposal. Alternatively, funding may be requested by the applicant from the Michael J. Fox Foundation’s research programs or an alternative funding source.
Investigators interested in conducting sub studies should note that, in line with PPMI policies, all data generated from the sub study are required to be deposited in LONI along with a document detailing the experimental methods, unless PPMI leadership otherwise determines the data may be sequestered. Once the data are reviewed for Quality Control, complete unblinded data will be made available to the research community for further analyses. The Open Access Policy adopted by PPMI additionally requires that processed data be submitted back into LONI for access by other researchers after an embargo period of not more than 6 months.
Thank you in advance for your ideas and valuable input into PPMI.
Submitting an Sub Study
To begin the first stage of Sub Study submission process, complete the form below and upload the sub study proposal.
In the proposal, please briefly describe the project, including the following elements: (2 pages maximum not including reference or manuscript attachments)
- Specific Goals / Purpose of Study
- Background / Significance and Rationale
- Preliminary data supporting the proposal
- Research plan – including estimated sample size, eligibility criteria, any specific cohorts or inclusion/exclusion criteria (e.g., Parkinson’s disease, healthy controls, Prodromal), estimated number of sites and location (i.e., U.S. only, U.S./Canada only, EU), etc.
- Data sharing and analyses plan – Include details on the type of raw data generated and submitted to LONI and/or another data sharing venue for initial QC review. Also include how the unblinded data will be processed/derived for intended analyses and submitted back into LONI. If there are any special requirements for data sharing (e.g., if the size of data would require special data transfer devices, etc.), please clearly articulate the process and associated resources.
- Resources available and/or required to complete the proposal
- Potential or available source of funding
- References (not included in the two-page limit)
- Note: up to 3 published or submitted papers related to the proposed sub study topic may also be attached to the proposal (not included in the two-page limit)